Felicity and Rob Percival continue to run the return and earn bottle collection. The weekly average number of bottles collected has fallen from approximately $50 per week to $25 per week during the COVID-19 restrictions. This recent collection together with the bottles members boxed at home and donated raised $93, that is 930 bottles in one carload. Rob had to place a large bag of bottles on his front seat to fit them all in.
The ladies committee donate the money raised to charities such as the Shoalhaven Parkinson’s Nurses and support the golf club, eg they purchased bunker rakes last year.
We thank Felicity and Rob, and members who donate their bottles from home.
A piece of history was uncovered whilst preparing the storage area for demolition. We found our original Clubhouse which was a converted shipping container with a slot and honesty box for submitting green fees. The container also served as a machinery shed, Board room and Committee meeting room where members were seated on various mowers.
David Lamb was involved in the course conception and attended his first committee meeting in December 1981. David was co-opted to the Board as Course Co-ordinator thus beginning his involvement with Board positions as President, Vice President and Secretary until 2014.
After the Council granted approval on 20 May 1985, the course construction commenced by surveying and clearing of the area for the first 3 holes. Those three holes are now the 10th, 11th and 12th holes. The Club became incorporated in December 1985 as the Shoalhaven Heads Golf Club Limited and initially, continued as the Social Golf Club section of the Bowling and Recreation Club.
The principle of volunteering was established right from the very beginning when Cleary Bros. donated their bulldozer at the commencement ceremony. In the years prior to the introduction of play on the first three holes, the area was maintained by Arthur Simmons and David Lamb using Victa lawn mowers. Phone calls to Arthur were answered by his wife Jean at home where she would reply “he’s up at the paddock!”. Arthur and David were told often “why don’t you take your beds up there!”.
Arthur passed away in 2003 and is remembered by way of the Balkwill-Simmons Shield, the annual interclub competition between the Heads and Callala golf clubs.
Arthur and David were responsible for the creation of what is now our 11th (original 2nd) hole as Ken McKay’s course design plans showed only two holes in this section of the course, and thus was born the idea of playing 3X3 to achieve the nine hole competition which began on 22 October 1994.
You may read the whole history of the course on the website “History” section within “About” above.
Some of the COVID-19 restrictions will be relaxed on 23 May 2020 as follows:
• You will be allowed to play in groups of four.
• Visitors from other clubs will be permitted to play in all competitions except for Saturdays (the Saturday competition will remain members only).
• The course will be open five days each week (Sun, Tue, Wed, Thu and Sat).
• Competition will be played on all five days followed by social play.
• Visitors and non-members may play social golf providing they are booked in a group with a playing member of our club.
• The club has golf memberships available at $450 playing member and $550 gold member (reduced commensurate with the remainder of this calendar year).
• New members will not be allowed to book a tee time on Saturdays until 7 days prior to the day (existing members are allowed 14 days prior to the day).
Unfortunately, Birdies by the Sea has closed until the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
We sampled Birdies by the Sea take home dinner which we enjoyed with a delightful red wine last night. We chose two entrees, Cheesy Potato Cake and Couscous Stuffed Capsicum plus two main dishes, Potato & Pork Sausage Casserole and Vegetarian Enchiladas. The meals were delicious and we will definitely come back again.
Brighten up your day by ordering a delicious take home meal from Birdies by the Sea.
Due to the difficulty of trying to stay afloat in this uncertain time, and understanding the lament of people not wanting to cook every night, Birdies by the Sea is now offering take home dinners on a pre-order basis four nights per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday).
These meals are mostly slow cooked dishes with natural ingredients, no preservatives and no additives. You only need to re-heat & eat. The menu above will change each fortnight.
If you require modified or special dietary requirements, please come in and see Louise Collings.
You may order by e-mail: email@example.com or in person at the club. Orders are required two days in advance. Please note that Birdies by the Sea is open on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday each week. Please collect your order between 10:00am and 2:00pm.
Please refer to latest update on 2 Apr above.
A few changes have been made to the medley (women and men) Charity Day which is programmed for Tuesday 31 March. The changes are required to satisfy the club’s COVID 19 protection measures. Please note that while the COVID 19 protection measures are in place, we can not hold shot gun starts and must restrict the numbers gathering in the club house.
Therefore, we will not be charging the Charity Day fee and lunch. The game will be played as a 4 Person team event as advertised and the normal weekly competition fees will apply. You may either purchase your lunch (sandwiches and salads will be available) or bring your own.
Each group of players will be allocated a separate tee time. The tee times will be allocated and published in the club’s website app on Tuesday 24 March. Please call the Pro-shop if you need to change or cancel your allocated tee time.
Further to the COVID 19 preventative measures which the golf club sent to all members on Sunday 15 March, please follow the additional preventative measures below which come into effect immediately at Shoalhaven Heads Golf Club.
• If you have returned or been in close contact with someone who has returned from any country outside of Australia since 15 March, including those on a cruise, you cannot attend the Club (the Club being inclusive of the entire site and property boundaries of Shoalhaven Heads Golf Club e.g. practice facilities etc) until you have self-isolated for a 14 day period.
• Additionally, in the 14 days prior to the 15th March, if you have returned from either a government identified high risk country (Mainland China, Iran, Italy, Republic of Korea) or moderate risk country (Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore, Thailand) you cannot attend the Club (the Club being inclusive of the entire site and property boundaries of Shoalhaven Heads Golf Club e.g. practice facilities etc) until you have self-isolated for a 14 day period.
• Please use Credit or Debit Cards via Pay Wave rather than cash whenever possible. The club may need to discontinue the use of cash at the Bar, Pro Shop and Café.
• Regular weekly golf and Clubhouse usage will continue as per normal given that our indoor gathering sizes after normal competitions, including Saturdays are always less than 100 people.
• Upcoming events which are conducted or hosted by the Club (member and non-member events) that typically attract more than 100 people will be reviewed and either revised to conform with government advice for limitng indoor gatherings to 100 or they will be cancelled. When an event is cancelled, members will be advised via our e-mail and website.
• Our catering and bar staff where possible will be practicing the methods of social distancing.
• All sun creams, salt & pepper shakers, and sugar dispensers will be removed from the Club until further notice. Members are encouraged to bring their own personal care products. Sugar sachet and salt and pepper may be requested by members and visitors if required.
• An increased number of hand sanitiser dispensers will be provided, and members are encouraged to use them.
• Frequently touched surfaces will be sanitised more regularly by our staff, this includes counter surfaces, tables, scorecard return bench, touch screens and motorised carts.
• Regularly accessed doors within the Club will be left ajar.
• Bar tables have been spread out further to encourage separation in the clubhouse.
Except for the COVID 19 preventative measures, the golf club is operating as normal. We encourage members and visitors attending Shoalhaven Heads Golf Club to minimise close person-to-person contact where possible and to exhibit an increased awareness of personal hygiene as has been encouraged by State and Federal health departments.
The Board considers the above measures to be both a sensible and relevant approach in protecting our members (a portion of which are elderly and at risk), guests, staff and contractors that frequent the Club, and generally “doing our bit” to minimise COVID-19’s spread. We will continue to be guided by the advice which is issued by State and Federal governments.
The Club’s policy will continue to be reviewed and changes made regularly to adapt. Changes will continue to be communicated to the Club’s membership via website post and e-news in addition to hard copy notices around the Club.
Please contact the Honorary Secretary, Alan Davies at the Club or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.
For further information, please visit the attached link: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novelcoronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
The Board of Directors
B Pennant is postponed until further notice due to COVID 19. Note that the women’s Pennant competition has been cancelled because of COVID 19.
The B Pennant team which was to play the semi final against Links Shell Cove next Sunday at Links Shell Cove has been cancelled. The Shoalhaven Heads team is:
* Graeme Leonard
* Phil Russo
* Ray Gonella
* Nic Hall
* Garry Hoare